Cameroon's Pascal Siakam hosts basketball camp for children

Cameroonian star in Douala, launched training activities for young people under 16 years of age of all sexes.

Forty three Cameroonian children were selected to participate in the first basketball camp organized by international basketball player Pascal Siakam.



Cameroonian star while celebrating his titles, on Wednesday in Douala, launched training activities for young people under 16 years of age of all sexes.



The Children latter received practical advice and follow-up from professionals in the discipline.



Siakam said the camp was just the opening of better things, for the goal he and his team had, adding that they knew it didn’t have to be perfect, and that they had things to learn.



“First we have to start, and that’s the attitude we had. So for us now, it’s about trying to make it as good as possible. That is our goal now. It was very good, they are very polite, I talked to all the young people. I tried to talk to them a little bit. I think this communication is very important. That’s what I tried to do, just show them that we’re normal people and that if they keep working, they can ask me what they want,”



According to the basketball player, the exchange they had with the children was very good, and positive.



The NBA champion intends to transform this trial into a basketball academy in the future.

Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
Notify of

Why has no other African won the Ballon d'Or after George Weah? [Football Planet]

Senegalese Sadio Mane and Egyptian Mohamad Salah who have had an impressive run with Liverpool ranked fourth and fifth respectively, causing heartbreak and disappointment to many of their fans

On this edition of Football Planet, Why has no other African footballer won the Ballon d’Or after George Weah?

After Lionel Messi was crowned winner of the 2019 Ballon d’Or, there’s debate about why it has taken so long for a black African football to win the prestigious prize again.

Senegalese Sadio Mane and Egyptian Mohamad Salah who have had an impressive run with Liverpool ranked fourth and fifth respectively, causing heartbreak and disappointment to many of their fans. Some have said they deserved it more than the eventual winner.

George Weah remains the only black African Ballon d’Or winner.

Also on the program, we take you to the CAF Champions League where favorites Esperance, Etoile du Sahel and TP Mazembe have collected maximum points as their opponents struggle.

africanews

How Anthony Joshua reclaimed his titles in 'Clash On The Dunes' - Report

“It was his (Joshua’s) night, man,” said Ruiz as his six-month reign ended in the 15,000 seat arena on the outskirts of the capital Riyadh.

Britain’s Anthony Joshua beat Andy Ruiz Jr on a unanimous points decision in Saudi Arabia on Sunday to seize back the heavyweight world championship belts he lost to his Mexican-American opponent in a shock upset last June.

The ‘Clash on the Dunes’ in Diriyah was for the IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles and Joshua set the pace from the start with a measured masterclass that showed he had learned from the nightmare of New York.

The judges scored the fight 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109 to the 30-year-old Briton.

“It was his night, man,” said Ruiz as his six-month reign ended in the 15,000 seat arena on the outskirts of the capital Riyadh.

The decision to take the fight to Saudi Arabia had been criticised by human rights campaigners but Joshua complimented the hosts and welcomed Ruiz’s suggestion that there should be a third encounter.

“If you heard, we’re going to do it a third,” said the champion.

Ruiz had stopped the previously undefeated Briton in the seventh round at Madison Square Garden but there was to be no second bolt of lightning from the man in the golden gloves and shorts.

He suffered a nasty gash over his left eye early on, with Joshua also bloodied on the brow in the second round to keep the cornermen busy to the end.

As the fight went into the second half, Ruiz was looking frustrated and was warned for illegal blows.

The eighth was more promising, with Joshua momentarily appearing vulnerable, but the Briton took back control and by round 11 had a spring in his step, looking fresh and nimble on his feet while using his height advantage to good effect.

Ruiz knew he needed a knockout but it never came.

Joshua, now with a record of 23 wins and one defeat, had described that June defeat — to a flabby-looking opponent drafted in as a late replacement — as no more than a “minor setback”.

While he made light of it again in victory, he was clearly relieved. “Man, the first time was so nice, I had to do it twice,” he told the crowd.

“I’m used to knocking guys out but last time I realised ‘hang on a minute, I hurt the man and I got caught coming in’. I gave the man his credit. I said to myself I’m going to correct myself and come again.”

Another loss in the early hours of Sunday would have put the 2012 Olympic super-heavyweight champion’s career on the line, with some saying after the last fight that he was finished.

TOO MUCH WEIGHT

Joshua had shown with his preparations, however, that he meant business — stepping into the ring lighter than ever and more than three stones less than Ruiz who had weighed in considerably heavier than in their first showdown.

The contrast between the two men was a talking point before the fight, with one British boxing writer noting that while Joshua sported a six-pack, his opponent appeared to have consumed one.

Ruiz, embraced by Joshua afterwards, said he would do it differently next time. “I think I didn’t prepare it how I should have. I gained too much weight but I don’t want to give no excuses. He won, he boxed me around,” he said.

“If we do the third, I’m going to get in the best shape of my life.” On the undercard, American Michael Hunter and Russian veteran Alexander Povetkin fought to a draw in their WBA heavyweight eliminator.

British heavyweight Dillian ‘The Body Snatcher’ Whyte beat Poland’s former world title challenger Mariusz Wach on a unanimous points decision.

“I’ve been through hell these last couple of months, but we’re here and back,” said the 31-year-old Whyte who was provisionally suspended in July over an irregular urine supply but cleared by the UK Anti-Doping agency on Friday.

REUTERS

London now Paris: Rwanda signs tourism promotion deal with PSG

Under the deal, PSG will promote Rwandan products, while messages promoting Rwanda will be displayed on its women’s team kit and in the club’s stadium.

Rwanda signed a deal on Wednesday with French soccer club Paris St Germain to promote tourism in the east African nation, its second such agreement since last year.

“We invest part of our tourism revenues in strategic collaborations such as the one with Paris St Germain because we understand the positive effect they have on the overall perception of the country globally,” the Rwanda Development Board’s chief executive, Clare Akamanzi, said in a statement after the signing.

Akamanzi did not say how much Rwanda would pay for the deal. A source close to the French club said it was worth between 8 and 10 million euros.

Under the deal, PSG will promote Rwandan products, while messages promoting Rwanda will be displayed on its women’s team kit and in the club’s stadium.

PSG said on Twitter that it had signed a deal “inviting the world to participate in the remarkable transformation of Rwanda”.

Last May, Rwanda signed a sponsorship and tourism promotion deal with the English soccer club Arsenal.

Rwanda earned $380 million from tourism in 2018, the central bank said last month, and was forecast to earn $405 million this year. It expects to earn $800 million by 2024, mainly from conferences and high-end tourists who trek with gorillas.

REUTERS

Messi wins 2019 Ballon D'or award, Mane fourth

Big disappointment for Africa as Sadio Mane fails to win the 2019 Ballon D’or. The trophy was awarded to Lionel Messi. It’s the Argentine’s sixth title.

Africa still waiting for the day an African player will win the Ballon D’or award after George Weah’s success in 1995. The 2019 edition was won by Argentine Lionel Messi. Sadio Mané came a distant fourth.

A whole continent was waiting for Sadio Mané or Mohamed Salah to cherish his dream of a second Golden Ball. But Africa’s hopes was dashed once again on Monday when the trophy was awarded to Lionel Messi during a ceremony held at the Théâtre du Châtelet in Paris, France. It was sixth Golden Ball won by the Barcelona striker, who surpassed his rival Cristiano Ronaldo as the player with the most award.

Worse, despite his exceptional season, Senegalese striker Sadio Mané failed to reach the podium while his Egyptian team-mate in Liverpool, Mohamed Salah, finished in fifth place in a highly talked about ranking. The podium was completed by the Dutchman Virgil Van Dijk and Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo.

The group stage of CAF’s inter club tournaments kicked off over the weekend. First with the Champions League, which started last Saturday. The start of the tournament was marked in particular by the very fine performance of two-time defending champion. Esperance of Tunis, who defeated Raja Casablanca 2-0, and are already leading Group D thanks to a better goal difference ahead of JS Kabily, who also won at home by 1 goal to nil against AS Vita Club of DR Congo.

The group stage of the Confederation Cup also kicked off on Sunday. All the results are to be found on our website. The competition was an opportunity for the coach of Beninese club FC ESAE to outline their objective of participating in the Confederations cup. Egyptian club Pyramids FC are making waves in their maiden appearance in an African inter club competition by beating Enugu Rangers of Nigeria 3-2 at their own back yard

Ballon d'Or: Senegal's Sadio Mane hopes to win 'childhood dream of mine'

Mane has had an impressive calendar year, winning the Champions League, the Premier League Golden Boot after bagging 22 goals and finishing second in the league and African Cup of Nations.

Senegal and Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has dreamed about winning the prestigious Ballon d’Or, and many on the African continent are hoping this dream becomes a reality on Monday.

Mane has had an impressive calendar year, winning the Champions League, the Premier League Golden Boot after bagging 22 goals and finishing second in the league and African Cup of Nations.

The Senegalese talisman is one of five African players that made it to the 30-man shortlist for this year’s best football player.

READ MORE: Five African players who made 2019 Ballon D’Or nominees list

Mane’s chances

The Ballon d’Or is an annual football award presented by France Football. It has been awarded since 1956.

“The fact that I am listed as one of the nominees is due to the fruits of the work that I’ve been putting in for a long time,’‘ Mane said about the Ballon d’Or shortlist.

“And if I am able to distinguish myself amongst this collective then of course, the Ballon D’Or, has always been my dream. And when a dream comes true, it is always exceptional.

Rooting for Mane

Ivory Coast’s Didier Drogba believes Mane has done what it takes to be the second player from the African continent to be named world’s best football player.

‘‘It is possible Mane can emulate George Weah, but it would have been possible before. There are many players who have well represented the African continent, like Samuel Eto’o,’‘ Drogba said.

Mane says he is flattered by such praise from African football legends.

“Eto’o, Drogba, they are legends in Africa and to hear what they are saying about me, it is always nice.”

“All of the Senegalese people, my friends, my family, would be so happy, I would be so happy.’‘

Weah is the only player from the continent to have won the award in 1995, and many commentators have argued that the prize is biased against African players.

READ MORE: Mourinho says Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o should have won Ballon d’Or